Bala Thirumalainambi, Senior Director for Interoperability and Healthcare Policy, helps health systems achieve their digital transformation goals. With extensive knowledge of healthcare policy, he provides policy and regulatory briefs related to healthcare quality improvement, interoperability, cost reduction, and health information technology. As a HIMSS board member, Bala brings insights related to federal and state funding opportunities.
An additional $249.95 million was provided as part of the Consolidated Appropriations Act (CAA) to fund a second round of the COVID-19 Telehealth Program. The FCC appointed Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) as administrator of the Program’s second round and released the details in a Report and Order statement.
The application filing window for the second round of funding opened Thursday, April 29, 2021 and will close on Thursday, May 6, 2021, at noon EST. With team members experienced in submitting grant applications, Andor Health is here to help and can provide complimentary assistance with writing your application.
Both rural and non-rural health clinics are eligible to receive funding, including nonprofit and public eligible healthcare providers that fall within the categories of healthcare providers in section 254 (h)(7)(B) of the 1996 Telecommunications Act.
- Post-secondary educational institutions offering healthcare instruction, teaching hospitals, and medical schools
- Community health centers or health centers providing healthcare to migrants
- Local health departments or agencies
- Community mental health centers
- Not-for-profit hospitals
- Rural health clinics
- Skilled nursing facilities
- Consortia of healthcare providers consisting of one or more entities falling in to the first seven categories
To apply to the COVID-19 Telehealth Program, you will need to:
- Request an eligibility determination from USAC by filing an FCC Form 460
- Obtain an FCC Registration Number (FRN) and an FCC Commission Registration System (CORES) ID
- Register for a System for Awards Management (SAM) account
NOTE: Some steps take a week or more to complete and we highly recommend you begin these processes immediately.
For additional information regarding second round funding, please refer to the Universal Service Administrative Company’s website.
Sr. Director, Interoperability & Healthcare Policy